This was not your typical roof replacement project! Shevlin Hall is located in the heart of the University of Minnesota’s Minneapolis campus. Pedestrian and vehicle traffic was a major concern outlined in the safety and site logistics. An even larger concern was that the project was adjacent to a fully operational daycare facility. This required the team to identify and implement innovative safety techniques, including:
- A specialized scaffolding system to discourage children from climbing on it and also protected them from getting hurt if they were able to access the scaffold system.
- Meticulous delivery scheduling that considered family pick-up and drop-off times.
- Lead paint removal was done through a chemical removal process to avoid paint chips from both contaminating the air and/or other areas of the building.
- Thorough overhead protection at all access and egresses points in the building.
- Roof removal was done over Memorial Day holiday weekend to help streamline the schedule and minimize negative impacts to operations.