Hanover Historic Bridge
Owner: City of Hanover
Architect: MacPherson Towne Co, WSB & Associates
Location: Hanover, MN
Size: 231 ft long, 17 ft wide, 200 SF of masonry
The Hanover Bridge was originally constructed in 1885 to carry traffic across the Crow River and to connect Wright and Hennepin Counties. It is the oldest bridge in Wright County and is currently owned by the City of Hanover. In 1965 it was converted into a pedestrian walkway and is listed in the National Registrar of Historic Places as a representative example of the Pratt truss design.
The bridge is a three-span structure and is significant for its wrought iron construction and wood truss deck. It consists of one 196-foot long wrought iron, pin-connected, Pratt through truss main span, and two 17-foot-6-inch-long timber approach spans, one on each end of the main span. The main span is supported by piers consisting of two cylindrical, concrete-filled, riveted steel plate caissons, paired with the bearings for the truss span. The timber approach spans are supported on timber sills resting on the piers and abutments. The clear width of the deck between railings is 15 feet 5 inches.
LS Black was hired to rehabilitate the existing timber plank deck, replace the chain link fence on each side of the bridge with a timber railing, and install lights and associated electrical work. The goal of the project was to maintain, stabilize, and preserve the bridge, allowing it to continue to serve in its existing capacity for 20+ years. The team worked hand-in-hand with the city to ensure the project’s historic features were maintained.